Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sinners in the Hands of Angry God

Puritan was a strict branch of religion coming from Protestantism of Christianity. This passage of "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" explains the wrath of God seen in the eyes of Puritans and how we are seen in God's view. His almighty decision of a person going to heaven or hell was determined when one was born. Good works and a righteous attitude does not change the fact of your predestination in the beliefs of Puritans. This is shown in Jonathan Edwards' preachings about the predictions of God's mighty wrath.

If I was listening to Jonathan Edward's speech at this very moment, I would reject his ideas and believe God as a caregiver rather than a wrath divine superior who chooses when to take away one's life anytime he feels like it. Even though I disagree with him in my mind, I would not try to stand up and oppose him. My life will be on the line if I choose to reform their beliefs. There are a lot of people that live by the Puritan rules of the speech of Jonathan Edward. In my opinion, the stress of faith and good works are both essential for true salvation. Predestination opposes the importance equality for all believers. It is portrayed in this passage that Puritans' faith in God can bring potential danger and suffering for them.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the comment on my blog. :)

    As for this post, it is a little different looking at it from your angle. But if you think about it, if you had to keep opposing this angry God and Jonathan Edwards' preachings every week for the rest of your life, what would be the point in living?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that if you didn't stand up for what you believe in, then what would be the point of life. You try to live life to the fullest and if you don't stand up living life would be meaningless.

    ReplyDelete