Friday, October 22, 2010

The Moment I Knew I was an American


The definition of an American is a person who incorporate his/her own culture with the cultures of the diversity in America and given the rights of the Constitution. The moment I knew I was an American was when I went back to China and realized how I differ from my Chinese cousins. In their eyes, I was a foreigner who lived a life of free rights and diversity. In my whole life, I have only made two trips to China. I understood that I differed from them in language, cultures, and nationality. They were all taught formal Chinese and lived in China absorbing all the heritage. Their opinions couldn't be expressed easily and they experiences a strict, competitive education. Comparing to me, I lived in America and had no sense of the real Chinese culture. Even though my parents are Chinese immigrants, I was born as an American in the USA. I resemble a "spring roll" which was thought to be an Americanized Chinese dish. I have a mixed culture of Chinese heritage and American education celebrating Chinese New Year and Christmas at the same time. Even though I am not truly Chinese, my nationality will always be American with a hint of Chinese culture.

4 comments:

  1. Henley isn'y Chinese or American. What Has this world come to?! At your house do you celebrate all of the Chinese holidays only, or is it all. and when did you go to china?!??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Henley, you make an interesting point about how you realized that you were an American when you went back to China. I, too have noticed that people in China see you as someone who is different and in reality, we kinda are. The difference is that we are Chinese Americans living in America with American beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Clark, I celebrate most of the important holidays whether it is from Chinese culture or American beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel you, man. haha. I know I'm American when "real" Mexicans turn to look at me and say "you're not Mexican".Even though i feel as though i am, they are right, I didn't live through the hard conditions they did, didn't go to school with them, but I still am Mexican. Mexican-American, as you are Chinese-American.

    ReplyDelete