Friday, April 15, 2011

The Beatles - Help!

Help, I need somebody,
Help, not just anybody,
Help, you know I need someone, help.
In the first stanza, the narrator states he needs assistance from a certain somebody. He/she just does not want anybody but from certain people.

When I was younger, so much younger than today,
I never needed anybody's help in any way.
But now these days are gone, I'm not so self assured,
Now I find I've changed my mind and opened up the doors.
This stanza states that as time past, the narrator became less assured and confident in himself. He no longer can rely on himself to accomplish what he normally can do in the past. Therefore, he is changing his mind and allowing others to assist him. Literally, as people grow older, they start getting slower and their senses grow duller. Thus, they will require more assistance and support from the community.

Help me if you can, I'm feeling down
And I do appreciate you being round.
Help me, get my feet back on the ground,
Won't you please, please help me?
According to this third stanza, the narrator explains the reason for his need of assistance. Feeling depressed and down, the narrator requires people to support him and assist him to recollect his feelings. He is trying to stand back up from a low point of his life and asks for desperate help as he attempts to beg.

And now my life has changed in oh so many ways,
My independence seems to vanish in the haze.
But every now and then I feel so insecure,
I know that I just need you like I've never done before.
Due to this depression, everything in his life is changing through his thoughts, and his independence is getting limited as he realizes all the boundaries and restrictions of everyday life. Once again, he restates the insecurity and uncertainty about himself. According to the last line, there were rare instances where he needed help from others. He is not used to receiving help from others and also finds it difficult to acquire assistance.

Help me if you can, I'm feeling down
And I do appreciate you being round.
Help me, get my feet back on the ground,
Won't you please, please help me.

When I was younger, so much younger than today,
I never needed anybody's help in any way.
But now these days are gone, I'm not so self assured,
Now I find I've changed my mind and opened up the doors.

Help me if you can, I'm feeling down
And I do appreciate you being round.
Help me, get my feet back on the ground,
Won't you please, please help me, help me, help me, oh.

The second, third, and fourth stanza repeats itself once more to emphasize the message of the song. The narrator is trying to convey the importance of support and assistance from the community during times of depression and low states of life. People should support others to get back up from where they fall. During 1965 in the year which the song was written, the Vietnam War was going on and this song can serve as a message telling other nations to help out Vietnam during their depressing state as Vietnam opened the door to foreign support. Many nations did try to bring Vietnam back to its feet but instead, it created more conflict.



No comments:

Post a Comment